Monday, July 16, 2012

Odometer: 5989



It's been nearly 2000 miles since I last wrote something. Oops. Not a lot of things have happened but yes, some things did.

This year I probably experienced one of the most impressionable Independence Days thus far in my life. This year it was on a Wednesday, so naturally the Sunday before, most of the songs at church were patriotic. I enjoyed singing the national anthem and it was the first time I remember actually feeling emotional while standing and singing the Star Bangled Banner. Don't get me wrong, I love my country; I just don't usually get very emotional about it. Also, why do we only sing the first verse usually? It ends with a question which the other versus are the answer too... This year I've been more appreciative of the men and women who made America free. I'm grateful to be an American and to live now with all the modern luxuries we enjoy.

It was especially enjoyable to be in our nation's capital to celebrate. I spent the day outside, being burned by the sun, with my brother, who somehow is part Latino or something cause he just tans. We did all the American things such as watch the parade, watch the fire works, and eat at McDonald's.

Parade: We were right at the beginning of the parade by the National Archives. Still haven't gone in their to see the Declaration of Independence.



I'm grateful for my family members who have served.

Air Force for my dad. 
Navy for my grandfather


Some other interesting things we saw.

Maybe I ought to get myself one of these, but I won't

Long parade to stand there like that I imagine

 Later we checked out some neato artwork.



The evening was spent on the National Mall. There were many many many people, including lots from other countries. I heard that July 4th is the busiest day for tourism in DC and I believe it. There were people everywhere! After a long day of walking around in the sun, it was nice to sit down and enjoy some music and fireworks.
Army band with a guest artist who I don't remember

Celebrating independence in the heart of America


Some good fireworks videos. The one with music reminds me of the Sandlot.





When the show was over the masses filled the streets and crowded the metro. Reminded me of a zombie apocalypse, not that I've seen one personally, but they've been becoming a popular conversation topic. The metro ride took forever because of all these peeps. But I made it home.


I was planning on writing more but now I don't feel like it an you probably don't feel like reading more anyway. The other stuff I've done hasn't been as patriotic. Visited Baltimore and National Harbor. Internship is going well. Car hasn't broken down yet and hopefully it never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment