Sunday, June 24, 2012

Odometer: 4213

Wow, passed 4000 already too! When you don't update a blog in a couple weeks, you drive over a thousand miles obviously. Luckily I've discovered I can save on gas by going to Costco. It's only $3.25 a gallon there. I also discovered that at Costco I can get milk for less than $4 a gallon, which is what it costs everywhere else; one gallon at Costco costs $2.78. Much better. I haven't wrote much in the last little while mostly because not a lot of noteworthy things have happened.

Work has gotten more busy. Instead of learning how to do things and about stuff, I'm actually doing things. It's not incredibly exciting, but it's good experience to prepare for a future career in financial planning. I'm starting to feel more like this is a career I would enjoy, especially with Edward Jones. I keep learning about more and more great benefits about the company. For example, there was recently a hurricane close by and every Edward Jones employee got a call from headquarters to check if they were ok. If not, they sent help to their home. Financial advisors can earn trips all over the world my meeting certain criteria each year. Employees can be invited to be limited partners and share the profits of the company. EJ cares about its employees and helps them. I thought there might be a lot of competition between advisors, but all the advisors work together. They're encouraged to share ideas and ask for help from each other. Local leadership roles are voluntary and not compensated so people do things to actually help others and not just for their own benefit. It's really a great place to work.


The only really cool thing I've done was some more touring. My brother and I and two friends got a tour of the Capitol Building yesterday. Although the building is huge, we only got to tour a small part of it. I love the oldness of the building. Working there would be pretty cool just because there is so much history there. One thing I like about museums and historical places is knowing that people used those things and walked those halls many years ago. I can imagine Abraham Lincoln or some other historical figure walking down the same hall that I'm going down. Or at the postal museum, some railway worker from way back when using the machinery that I was looking at. Maybe that's weird but I enjoy that more than looking at paintings and strange modern art, neither of which I understand, unless it's a painting of a mountain, cause than I know it's a mountain and that's it. Sorry Alyssa.


Headphones for the tour and someone who doesn't believe in taking pictures

Rotunda of the Capitol





Another room with lots of statues, reminded me of Harry Potter and the chess room

 Brigham Young, representing Utah. Who know he was in the Capitol...


Library of Congress was really cool but it was hard to capture it in pictures


Also went to the building museum which had some cool stuff. Also it took me probably 20 minutes to find my car at the parking garage when I got back to my metro stop.

Other random notes.

I saw one random episode of Lost a few years ago and thought, wow this show is weird. I'm not sure why everyone likes it so much. I thought 24 was sooo much better. While I've been here, and enjoyed roommate privileges of Netflix use, I've started watching from the beginning. When you watch a series in order, it actually makes sense when you see an episode of the third season. Basically, I've become addicted to this show. It's so good. It keeps you hanging and wanting more. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON ON THAT ISLAND!!! But don't nobody go tellin me cause I wanna see it for myself! I only recommend watching this show if you have a lot of free time because you're going to need it.

Lots of the time, there are signs like "enforced by radar" or "photo enforced" near traffic signs. I've seen one here that I've never seen before and I want to know what is going on. On the drive home from work I pass this sign that says "Speed 55. Enforced by aircraft." ??? Every time I pass this sign, I imagine some car speeding passed me, followed by unmanned military drone which drops in and fires a missile at the car for speeding. Either that or a police helicopter which chases it down the road at low altitude telling them to pull over. Hopefully somebody speeds passed me before I leave so I can see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment