Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Odometer: 1580

This covers two days of driving so be prepared!

Wyoming to Indiana

I left Wyoming bright and early. Already had a full tank of gas so I was right on my way. As I traveled east I noticed an additive property in the land. Nebraska is like Wyoming but has green. Iowa is like Nebraska but has hills and trees. Illinois is like Iowa but has water. Indiana is like Illinois but has NASCAR!

This section of the drive wasn't very eventful. There were lots and lots of straight roads with 75 mph speed limits. After hundreds of miles of that 65 feels super slow and unproductive. I ought to mention that this would have been incredibly boring had it not been for THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA!!! Before I left, I borrowed a large collection of audio books, including the aforementioned, from people at my university job.

In Nebraska I stopped at a rest stop and met an older couple who invests with Edward Jones or knows a financial advisor there... it wasn't clear. I also took a picture of these cows.


This was a lot of Nebraska and Iowa. During a lot of the drive, a line from Dumb and Dumber kept passing through my mind. When Lloyd and Harry are traveling cross country, the stop at a diner for a bite to eat. Lloyd says, "feels good to mingle with these laid back country folk, don't it Hare?"

 I think this was the Missouri River?


Before I got to my friend's house in Indiana, I drove downtown to the Heslar Naval Armory. Since it was Memorial Day and military related I thought that perhaps it would still be open, but it wasn't. I don't want to join the Navy, but I stopped to see one of this building's artifacts. My grandpa on my father's side served on the USS Indiana in WWII in the Navy. After the war, the battleship was sold for scrapping, but some of its parts are scattered throughout the country. The bell is kept here. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see it but it was cool to be close.



2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed you knew that about the Grandpa's ship- how did you know?

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out from Wikipedia. There are some other things in Indiana but they were too far out of the way.

      Delete